I found out two weeks ago today that I got a pilot slot in the Air Force (OMG!!!)
Since then, NOTHING has happened.
I mentioned that I had issues scheduling my TBAS, and it went something like this:
1) I told my recruiter before I left for Israel that I would be back May 15 and would like to take the TBAS as soon as possible after that. I also knew that I'd take it at Hanscom Air Force Base, so I passed that info along to him too.
2) I got back from Israel, and he had scheduled nothing
3) I called. "I can't find the contact at Hanscom for the TBAS." he said.
4) I knew an Air Force guy at Hanscom that I met through flying. I called him and begged him to put me in touch with someone.
5) He put me in touch with the officer recruiter at Hanscom
6) I emailed her telling her I needed to schedule the TBAS.
7) She emailed back and gave me the contact info of the guy who does it.
8) I forwarded the entire email chain to my recruiter
9) He STILL couldn't reach the TBAS scheduling man
10) I emailed Hanscom recruiter. She sent a scathing email to the scheduler.
11) He finally got back to me.
Basically, I scheduled the TBAS by myself.
Now, to be fair, my recruiter is in Ohio. But one of my next steps is to get put on a "courtesy ship" and be transferred to a recruiter in Boston. I feel like that shouldn't be hard. But apparently it takes more than two weeks. I know that apart from me, 4 other people were accepted in this board. So my recruiter has 5 people he is juggling. I feel like that is not an insane amount to handle.
Anyway, the lesson I learned from TBAS is that if I nudge a little bit, I can get things done. If I sit and wait for people to get back to me, it's likely I'll be sitting and waiting for a while. I want to go to Officer Training in February at the latest. I've been told this is feasible. I do not want to be sitting and waiting (and getting older!!!) to go.
So, since I know that the recruiter at Hanscom SEEMS to be good at getting things done, I emailed her over the weekend and let her know what my next steps are and if she can help me attain them sooner rather than later. For example, I know that the flight physical is going to be at Hanscom. I feel like that is something that is easily scheduled. I mean, it's a doctors appointment for crying out loud.
I know I sound kind of angry, but I just don't like waiting and twiddling my thumbs. I want to make sure that I exhaust all resources to GET IT DONE.
The End. I hope everyone has a lovely forthcoming week :)
No comments:
Post a Comment